Spotlight on Skin Types: Oily
Skin is classified into different types, including normal, oily, dry, and sensitive. While some people have a combination of one or more of these skin types in different areas, it is important to understand what constitutes each and how they should be cared for.
Additionally, a person’s skin type can change over time. Younger people are more likely than older people to have a normal skin type, but they can also experience more oily skin during puberty and other life changes.
Skin types vary depending upon a combination of factors. They include the following characteristics of your skin:
- Water content – This affects your skin’s comfort and elasticity.
- Lipid (oil) content – This affects your skin’s softness and nutrition.
- Level of sensitivity – This affect’s your skin’s tolerance to certain substances.
In order to take better care of your skin, here is some information that will tell you a bit more about each type. This is the latest post in a series spotlighting the different types. Tune in next week for another type.
People with oily skin might exhibit shiny skin that also has enlarged pores. Oily skin is also more prone to blackheads and blemishes, as well as occasional tightness.
Oiliness can change, depending upon the time of year or the weather. Oily skin can be caused or worsened by:
- Puberty or other hormonal imbalances
- Exposure to heat or too much humidity
Here are some tips for taking better care of oily skin:
- Wash your skin no more than twice a day and after you perspire heavily.
- Use a gentle cleanser and don’t scrub.
- Don’t pick, pop, or squeeze pimples. This prolongs healing time.
- Use products labeled as “noncomedogenic.” They don’t tend to clog pores.
While there are some challenges associated with oily skin, there are ways you can achieve healthier, glowing skin that will boost your confidence and make you feel great. Our team of board certified dermatologists here at Knoxville Dermatology Group can help you get back to glowing, no matter what type of skin or skin issues you are facing.
Would you like to learn more about the treatments and products available to get your skin in better shape? A member of our team here at Knoxville Dermatology Group can help! Skin health is an important part of total body wellness. Schedule an appointment today with one of our board certified physicians to get your skin the care it needs so it can reach its fullest, healthiest potential.
Contact Knoxville Dermatology Group at 865.690.9467.